Our mission is to share residents’ stories one neighborhood at a time.
Each month, we publish four community lifestyle magazines filled with human-interest stories – all-original, first-time content – about local people and happenings in Houston’s most affluent neighborhoods: Bellaire, Memorial, River Oaks, Tanglewood and West University.
And our reach doesn’t stop with print. Our website features additional online-only content, community blogs, guides and directories, contests and includes thousands of searchable stories. You can also connect with us on social media and sign up for our daily newsletter, Morning Buzz.
No other publication has more trust, loyalty and relationships in these communities.
We are looking for an Editorial Assistant to join our editorial team. Our ideal candidate is a talented, hard-working, detail-oriented team player with excellent written and verbal communication skills, who is very familiar with the communities we cover. This position consists of creating content both for our print and online product, fact-checking, proofreading, covering events on a case-by-case basis and contributing to our editorial team. If you love to write and thrive in a smaller business environment, we would like to hear from you.
- Assisting with the writing, editorial and proofreading process for content in print, online and on social media
- Covering local events as assigned
- Contributing to the editorial team by sharing creative ideas and assisting with content organization
- Coordinating photo shoots and organizing the photo-selection process
- Communicating with residents regarding editorial coverage
- Journalism, communications or related degree
- A minimum of two years of relevant work or internship experience in a related field
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Proficient with social media
- Proficient photography skills
- Proficient in MS Office
- Must be comfortable in the fast-paced, deadline-oriented field of publishing and pay strong attention to details and deadlines
- Ability to positively represent The Buzz Magazines at community events, over the phone and in writing
- Out-of-the-box thinker who enjoys going beyond a press release to create compelling editorial content
- Self-motivated individual with a positive attitude
- A team player
- Commensurate with experience
- Group health coverage, including medical, dental and vision
- Company matching simple IRA plan
- Paid company holidays
- Paid time off
Please tell us why you’re interested and why you would be a great fit for our team. Email your cover letter, resume and a writing sample to [email protected]. No phone calls please.