What to do in Houston this Summer without Breaking the Bank
Karina Arnold, summer intern at The Buzz, is a rising sophomore at the University of Oklahoma and blogs for The Buzz about healthy eating. See her “Cooking with Karina" posts.
Houston: the home of humidity, aggressive drivers and Tex-Mex. Excluding New York, Houston houses more Fortune 500 company headquarters than any other city in America. Houston also ranks third in the U.S. for most park acreage per capita and recently was named the most ethnically and racially diverse city in America. Although living in the greatest city in America has its perks, Houstonians, especially teens, still like to ball on a budget. Here are some cool, cheap or free things you can do in Houston!
- Eat food made in a stranger’s car with this Houston Food Truck Locator.
- Visit a unique market like Phoenicia Specialty Foods market, 99 Ranch Market or Canino’s Market and dine there or make a crazy dish with your food finds. Central Market also provides unique cooking classes.
- Wander in a thrift shop on Montrose Boulevard and then catch a short film at Brasil Café.
- Or visit the The Houston Heights for more vintage shopping and finds.
- Release your inner child and go to an arcade like Dave and Busters, Joystix, Lazer Quest or even Battlefield Houston. Tip: many arcades have a “happy hour,” online coupons or group deals! Be sure to check out their websites before you visit.
- Check out what cool, modern art The Menil Collection has this season.
- See crazy cars you could find on Houston’s highways at The Art Car Museum.
- Relax and take a stroll through the Houston Arboretum & Nature Center.
- Go bananas at the Houston Zoo the first Tuesday of every month from 2 p.m.-closing for a free visit or go to a “Cool Nights” event - The Houston Zoo has extended hours every Friday night this summer so you can enjoy the zoo in the cooler evening weather!
- Get educated and down and dirty with nature at the Nature Discovery Center.
- Bike along Buffalo Bayou for scenic views and fresh air.
- Chill under the stars at Market Square Park and check out their calendar of events.
- Snap an insta-worthy and #artsy picture at the Biscuit Paint Wall or the Sugar and Cloth Color Wall.
- Pack a picnic and a puppy and visit one of Houston’s many dog parks, including the Johnny Steele Dog Park or Tanglewood Dog Park, which include free public and private parks.
- Appreciate Houston’s urban and artistic beauty by touring the restored houses of Project Row Houses.
- Check out your local library’s events. For example, The Houston Public Library holds teen crafting sessions every Wednesday and Thursday until the end of August. They are also holding a summer reading program for kids and adults!
- Want to show off your sweet dance moves, or learn some more? Go to free Zumba every Wednesday night at Discovery Green.
- Cool down from Houston humidity in the underground mall downtown.
- Take a run around Rice University’s running trail and then cool off while strolling through Rice Village’s numerous shops and eateries.
Use this list as a bucket list, guide or even tool to navigate around, through and inside “the loop” known as Houston. What are your favorite, thrifty things to do in Houston? Comment below and have a great summer!
To leave a comment, please log in or create an account with The Buzz Magazines, Disqus, Facebook, Twitter or Google+. Or you may post as a guest.