Mommy Moments: New Baby Resolutions
My husband and I are about to welcome our third child at the end of this month, and I can’t help but think of the topic of resolutions. After all, it’s the beginning of the year and people are all about their New Year’s resolutions, such as losing some weight, giving up sodas, cutting back on coffee, starting to exercise and more. Resolutions are typically along the lines of self-improvement and health.
What about resolutions for having your next baby? Last January, I wrote an article for Buzz Baby on new baby resolutions and now I stand in those footsteps. My twins are now 2 ½ years old. I started thinking about my own parenting resolutions and what I hope to do a little differently this time around.
So, here they go, in no particular order:
- Worry less about feeding and changing and enjoy them when they are newborns. I feel like it is typical for a new mom (especially a new mom to twins) to get so wrapped up in feeding, swaddling and changing that you can miss the little moments you can’t get back. This time around, I plan to soak up the newborn moments a little more (even if it is 4 a.m.).
- Buy the cheaper diapers. We loved Pampers Swaddlers and in my opinion, they really are great, but I think it’s ok to skip the expensive diapers and have a mix of brands for different times. (Want more tips on baby gear? See this Buzz Baby.)
- Archive pictures and videos from the beginning; be organized about their baby book. I let a lot of time go by without updating my twins’ baby books. It quickly becomes confusing and believe it or not, yes, you will forget the exact moment they smile for the first time, a tooth pokes through their little gums, and when other little moments happen.
- Dress them in the fancy outfits for a normal day. I received so many beautiful outfits when they were born and I didn’t want to ruin them so I “saved” them for special occasions. My resolution is to dress them up in the fancy outfits for a trip the grocery store.
- Finally, last but not least: Remember to cut myself a little more slack. Having a baby is huge life moment and it’s very, very hard. Whether it’s your first or fifth baby, moms need to cut themselves some slack, relax, lay off the laundry now and then, and enjoy the ride.
Happy 2017! What are your parenting resolutions?
Editor’s Note: In this column, Annie Blaylock McQueen, who has twin babies, writes on timely parenting topics and share parenting stories. For more baby stories and topic, check out Annie’s monthly Buzz Baby column. If you have baby stories to share, comment under this article or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Read more Mommy Moments posts.
Want more buzz like this? Sign up for our Morning Buzz emails.
To leave a comment, please log in or create an account with The Buzz Magazines, Disqus, Facebook, Twitter or Google+. Or you may post as a guest.