Creepy Reads for Halloween 2021
Halloween 2021 looks a lot better than Halloween 2020 did, and on top of that good news, the Astros are in the World Series! To celebrate, I selected some fun and creepy reads to help everyone get into the Halloween spirit. While I enjoy writing about creepy books, I do not always enjoy actually reading them so I searched around to find some great recommendations.
I have sorted the books by theme to help guide people towards the right type of spooky read for them. A number of these books could fit in more than one category so I tried to slot them into the one that I felt fit best. I have starred the books that I have read and enjoyed, and they are listed below in no particular order.
Here are some reads to help you enjoy the season:
- *The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager
- The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware
- Survive the Night by Riley Sager
- *Broken Harbor by Tana French (or anything else by her)
- *The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allen Poe (short story)
- *The Pit and the Pendulum by Edgar Allen Poe (short story)
Really Dark Reads:
- The Whisper Man by Alex North
- The Stand by Stephen King (as the master of suspense and horror, he has numerous other books that qualify here)
- The Nowhere Man by Catherine Ryan Howard
- The Final Girl Support Group by Grady Hendrix
- The Chain by Adrian McKinty
- Night Film by Marisha Pessl
- The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones
- *The Woman in the Mirror by Rebecca James
- *The Stranger Diaries by Elly Griffiths
- *The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware
- *The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
- *Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
- The Ancestor by Danielle Trussoni
Ghost or supernatural stories:
- *A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan
- *The Last to See Me and I See You So Close by M. Dressler
- The Broken Girls by Simone St. James (she has numerous other ghost stories too)
- *The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- The Haunting of Leigh Harker by Darcy Coates
- The Carrow Haunt by Darcy Coates
- Mapping the Interior by Stephen Graham Jones
Scarier Ghost/Supernatural/Horror stories:
- The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
- The Book of Accidents by Chuck Wendig
- Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
- My Heart is a Chainsaw by Stephen Graham Jones
- Craven Manor by Darcy Coates
- Hunted by Darcy Coates
I want to hear about your favorite creepy books below in the comments!
For more book recommendations and bookish thoughts, see Cindy’s monthly Buzz Reads column, her Thoughts from a Page Podcast or follow @ThoughtsFromaPage on Instagram. Find upcoming Conversations from a Page events here.
Want more buzz like this? Sign up for our Morning Buzz emails.
To leave a comment, please log in or create an account with The Buzz Magazines, Disqus, Facebook, Twitter or Google+. Or you may post as a guest.